In 1910, the Seattle Parks Board promised Lakewood neighbors a public moorage, anticipating the loss of their waterfront lots when Lake Washington was lowered in 1917.  Not until 1952 did Seattle deliver on their promise.   CB Dodge’s private boathouse on Ohler’s Island was renovated to become publicly owned Lakewood Moorage.  Parks and Lakewood neighbors worked together to create a public moorage facility with minimal impact on the natural surroundings, one that wouldn’t disrupt the community and be aligned with the Olmsted’s vision that created Lake Washington Boulevard.

1902 Boat Landing at Lakewood, Rainier Valley Historical Society

Seattle Historical Sites:  Lakewood Moorage Shop

Seattle Parks and Boulevard System

Olmsted Parks in Seattle, HistoryLink.org Essay